Friday, April 13, 2012

Kudos On This One Ashley Judd!

Kudos Ashley Judd for speaking out!  Recently, actress Ashley Judd has been scrutinized by the media over her "puffy face" appearance, as they speculate whether she's had plastic surgery.  Ashley took great offense to this because of the degrading assaults women are constantly under by our society, which I believe media and Hollywood is a lot to blame (spurred on by the evil-one himself).  Mrs. Judd speaks out about this hideous social "norm", and that both men AND women play into it.

"I think it's the objectification of girls and women in the hypersexualization of our society that invites the criticism." When I heard Ashley Judd say these words the other night on NBC Rock Center with Brian Williams, it definitely caught my attention, as it's an issue that really strikes a nerve with me. 

Mrs. Judd explains: "I choose to address it because the conversation was pointedly nasty, gendered, and misogynistic and embodies what all girls and women in our culture, to a greater or lesser degree, endure every day, in ways both outrageous and subtle. The assault on our body image, the hypersexualization of girls and women and subsequent degradation of our sexuality as we walk through the decades, and the general incessant objectification is what this conversation allegedly about my face is really about."  I totally agree Ashley!

She goes on to say: "We are described and detailed, our faces and bodies analyzed and picked apart, our worth ascertained and ascribed based on the reduction of personhood to simple physical objectification. Our voices, our personhood, our potential, and our accomplishments are regularly minimized and muted."

Click HERE for Mrs. Judd's entire essay on thedailybeast.com.

I'll be blogging a lot more about similar topics as I'm immensely passionate about this, and the moral downfall of our society and where it's headed.  In my young, stupid and naive years, I myself feed this disgusting monster.  Both women and men need to speak out against how our society devalues, degrades, and objectifies women and girls!  If you don't have children yourself, think about a niece, or cousin, Godchild or friend.  Consider viewing the garbage on TV and radio, in movies and magazines, and today's "fashions" from a different angle.   Media and Hollywood has worked hard for years to desensitize us to, and deface the true nature and beauty of sexuality as it was meant by our Creator.  It's been working for them because WE sadly feed into it! 

I'm on a crusade about this.  It's time for more of us to take a stand against this problem, to speak out about it, stop being complacent, and demand BETTER for our society, children and future generations.  I use to be complacent about this issue myself because I thought, "What does it hurt?  I can't do anything to change things anyway.  People can choose to not look at it, or change the channel."  We'll I'm not being complacent anymore, I'm speaking out and I'd like to encourage others to do the same.  My hope is by having conversations about this, it will get others to become more sensitive to the degradation of women (and men) and sexuality.  Our society is so numb to it because we see and hear it everywhere, and it's sickening.  And if, or when, you see things truly for what they are and what it's doing to our culture, then talk to your kids about it too, because believe me, if you don't think this insidious worm isn't burrowing its way into your children's brains by what they see and hear all over the place, it is!  So please, take a stand too.  Don't be complacent.  Start talking about it with young people and other parents, and discuss and share things on social media too, about how the hypersexualization of our culture is destructive.  How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time!

The clip below is from the April 11, 2012, NBC Rock Center interview with Ashley Judd as she stands up to the media assaults on our society.




No comments:

Post a Comment